6 cups fresh, whole figs
1 teaspoon baking soda
4-1/2 cups boiling water
3 cups white sugar
1-1/2 cups water
1/2 lemon, sliced
- Place fresh, whole figs in a large bowl and sprinkle figs with the baking soda. Pour the boiling water over the figs and soak for 1 hour.
- Drain figs and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Combine the 3 cups sugar and 1-1/2 cups of water in a large dutch oven; bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the figs and lemon slices to the syrup in the Dutch oven and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon figs into hot, sterilized jars and spoon syrup over figs, leaving 1/2 inch of head space. Top jars with lids and screw bands on tightly.
- Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
MUG FOR THE CAMERA!!!
These little cakes would be so cute for a wedding. Imagine the mini mugs with the bride and groom’s names/wedding date attached with a fancy tag. Cups and saucers available on-line:http://www.hansonellis.com/espresso-cup-saucer-set.html
Here’s how to make your own mug cake for a quick chocolate fix:
The Most Dangerous Cake in the World: Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
Prep: 5 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
1 Coffee Mug
4 tablespoons flour(that’s plain flour, not self-rising)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional) Some nuts (optional) Small splash of vanilla
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well . Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don’t be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to share!)
GET YOUR SUSHI ON…
Sushi is always a huge hit at receptions, showers and gatherings. The preparation takes a bit of time, but so much fun to make with friends. Prepare it the night before and cut slices just before the event to insure freshness and save time the day of.
6 cups water
3 cups of Italian Arborio or Sushi rice
1/3 cup Seasoned Rice vinegar (or 1/3 cup white vinegar plus 1 Tablespoon sugar)
Use a variety of these ingredients (about 4) in each sushi roll; all cut in julienne slices
1 package Alaska crab flavored Pollock
1 cucumber, peeled
1 red pepper (or yellow or orange peppers)
1 package cream cheese
1 mango, peeled
coriander leaves (or other fresh herbs)
1 package (30 grams) Nori dried seaweed sheets
Bamboo sushi mat
plastic wrap to protect mat (optional)
1/8 to 1/4 cup soya sauce or tamari
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Pickled ginger slices
Wasabi (Japanese horseradish…very hot)
Cook rice. Remove from heat. Add vinegar and stir to combine.
Cover sushi mat with plastic wrap (optional). Lay one Nori sheet on mat. Spread 2 heaping spoonfuls of cooked rice onto Nori, leaving about 1 inch bare at the top. Place a few rolls of filling ingredients on the rice, about 1/3 way up from the bottom. Roll sushi as per this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swGJ2dIu9XE. Cover rolls in plastic wrap until ready to cut. Cut each roll into 1 inch slices. Discard messy ends or save in a bowl.
To serve, place sushi on a large platter. Put dipping sauce in a small bowl and drained ginger slices in another small bowl. Guests dip the sushi in the sauce and top with a ginger slices. A small dab of wasabi can be added by guests if they dare!
From Julie’s kitchen of OddLotEmporium
~APPLE PIE BAKED IN APPLE~
I received this recipe on facebook and I tried it with my daughter as a fun mom & daughter project. They are perfect size for 1 serving and the kids loved them!
5-6 Granny Smith apples (make sure they can stand on their own)
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. brown sugar
pie crust (homemade or pre-made)
1) Preheat oven to 375F.
2) Cut off the top of 4 apples off and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or melon baller very carefully, as to not puncture the peel.
If you’re a skilled interior apple excavator, salvage as much as you can so you can use it for Step 2. I, on the other hand, am not skilled so I just had to throw my interior apples away and chop up additional apples for filling.
3) Remove skin from remaining apple(s) and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you the additional filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking.
Mix sliced apples with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. If you prefer more or less cinnamon make adjustments as desired. Same goes for the sugar.
Scoop sliced apples into hollow apples.
4) Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips. You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/sweetness to the pie.
Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.
5) Place apples in an 8×8 pan. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan.
Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.
Makes 4 baked apple pies (in the apple).
From Brenda’s kitchen of SweetJonesin
Garlic Chicken Puffs
Yields 32 puffs (I made a double batch)
4 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup cooked shredded chicken*
2 cans refrigerator crescent rolls
- Mix cream cheese, garlic and chicken until well blended.
- Unroll crescent rolls and cut each triangle into 2 triangles (when you unroll the crescent rolls, 2 triangles are attached making a big square, I just cut from there following the perforation for one cut and made another cut from the other corners = giving you 4 little triangles)
- Place 1 tsp of chicken mixture on the center of each triangle and fold the corners in over the creamy mixture.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 12-14 mins.
I used 2 cookie sheets at a time, and had to bake 3 batches to get all of mine baked (so allow for that time if you’re making a lot)
Also, mine were ready in about 11 mins, so watch for how your oven cooks.
*For cooked chicken, I buy those big bags of frozen chicken tenderloins; I just threw 6 of them on a cookie sheet and baked for about 25 mins.
From Julie’s kitchen of OddLotEmporium
Pistachio and White Chocolate Mousse Tartlets
BY BETTY CROCKER
I love this recipe and make them around here as appetizers for birthdays or celebrations. We are going to make them for my friends upcoming baby shower that I am co-hosting.
1 cup whipping cream
4 oz white chocolate baking bars, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
2 packages (2.1 oz each) frozen mini fillo shells (30 shells total), thawed
1/4 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts 30 fresh raspberries (about 6 oz)
In 1-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream just to boiling. Place white chocolate in small metal bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in liqueur. Refrigerate about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until very cold.
2. In large bowl, beat cold chocolate mixture with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until mixture begins to thicken, then on high speed until stiff peaks form. (If mixture will not beat into stiff peaks, it is not cold enough.) Continue with recipe, or store in refrigerator up to 4 hours before making tartlets.
3. Just before serving, spoon mousse into gallon-size food-storage plastic bag; seal bag. Cut 1/2-inch tip off bottom corner of bag; evenly pipe mousse into each fillo shell. Sprinkle each tartlet with nuts and garnish with 1 raspberry. Store covered in refrigerator.
From Brenda’s Kitchen of SweetJonesin
Easy Recipes for the DIY Bridal Shower by Sweet Jonesin Designs
The DIY top shelf hors’doeurves for this month recipe is a sure winner. It only takes about 15 minutes to make and 1 minute to eat.
Caramelized Onion Dip with
William Poll Potato Thins
We’ve created the gourmet version of potato chips and onion dip by blending caramelized onion with crème fraîche and serving it atop William Poll’s unique Potato Thins or Lay’s Ruffle Potato Chips. Guests enjoy a big crunch paired with an explosion of earthy potato flavor and sweet onions. These thick, crispy, perfectly flat potato chips also are ideal servers for steak tar tare, smoked salmon, salmon caviar, and goat cheese; and all of these ideas go well with Champagne. Click on the William Poll link to read our full review and find out where you can order the products.
- Puree caramelized onions and mix 50/50 with crème fraîche (you may wish to try 50/25 to see if you prefer a stronger onion flavor).
- Add a dab to each potato thin, and garnish with snipped chives.